Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Recipe review

Stuffed Acorn Squash

3 acorn squash 1 pound pork sausage

1/3 molasses 1 t sage

1 t salt bread crumbs

Wash squash and cut in halves, remove seeds. Put a tablespoon of molasses in each half, sprinkle with salt and pinch of powdered sage (if sausage does not contain sage). Fill the cavity with sausage and top with bread crumbs. Place the squash halves in baking pan, add about an inch of water to the pan. Cover and bake in hot oven (400-f) for 40 minutes. Remove cover and brown.

OK this was a good recipe, tasted good. Now we could not find any molasses in the stores, boy was that odd. So we used dark brown sugar instead, the only thing I would do is add seasoning of some kind to the sausage. The kids were of mixed views on it, my girls loved the squash.. my son liked the sausage. I plan to make this again, but we'll have to work out seasoning for the sausage.

Deviled Eggs

6 hard-boiled eggs 2T soft butter

1/2 t prepared mustard salt,pepper,paprika

remove shells and cut eggs in half. Mash yolks to a smooth paste, adding the mustard, butter, salt, and pepper. When well mixed press into the cup-shaped egg whites, round the tops and sprinkle with paprika. For a special treat, add 2T finely chopped ham or a small can of deviled ham to the egg yolk mixture.

We tried this as Silver loves hard -boiled and deviled eggs, well... it was a nice difference but it just didn't taste as good as I'm use to. silver thinks if we grew up eating it, it probably would have tasted better to us then. I could see us eating it if I had tons of butter in the house (hmm how much milk will we get from 1 full sized cow a day..?)


Sugar Cakes

3 C sugar 2 t baking soda

1/4 C butter 1 C thick milk (cream added milk fyi)

2 eggs

Mix eggs and butter well, (add 2 1/2 C sugar and mix) Then add milk and soda. Mix in enough flour to make a soft dough, just so you can roll it. Cut into any shape you wish. Sprinkle with granulated sugar, and bake in a moderately heated oven.

OK very interesting recipe, it had a couple of problems. Notice the parentheses? Well... that part was -NOT- in the written recipe, Silver figured we are covering the "cakes" with 3 C of sugar. As we currently do not have a mixer I did this by hand, I took pictures too! ...now if I can find my camera I'll post them... You do not want to melt the butter at all it does need to be very soft. also as I could not mix it by hand till the dough was rollable so we tried to make them "drop cookies". They cooked very nicely I think the first time we used a 325 degree oven, and well the "cookies" were becoming "Cakey" as they cooked; i guess thats why they are called "sugar cakes". So with that in mind I decided to put the remaining batter into a cake pan and baked that. All I can say is WOW... it cake out like a cake but with a sugar cookie flavor. I did make it a second time, this 2nd time I baked at 375 and well.. it browned before it finished cooking. We had to scrap the center out to eat it, but it still tasted good. I hope someone can try it our as the rolled cookie and tell me how it is.



OK on another note Silver found an interesting page on facebook:


take a peek at it, it has some interesting info on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment