Search This Blog

Monday, January 10, 2011

Recipes

When we still lived in NY I had found a small booklet called "Pennsylvania Dutch Cooking", within it there is a good sized assortment of recipes from (coughs) "simpler" times. Granted some Amish and Mennonite people probably still us them. For now I am going to start working my way through a few of the recipes, at least the ones that I think my family will have the least issues with eating. I will try to make them following the exact directions and see what I may need to add or subtract from it. Last night's recipe is:

Mock Duck

1 thick Round Steak
2 Cups bread crumbs
1 Tablespoon onion minced
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 Tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon of salt
poultry seasoning

To make dressing beat eggs, add milk and pour over bread crumbs. Add onion, seasoning and work in butter mixing thoroughly. Spread dressing over the meat and roll up carefully. Fasten with skewers or tie with string. Place in a greased pan and bake in medium hot oven (375 F) for 1-2 hours. Slice to serve.

OK, this was not a bad recipe, however we did learn what it does need added to it. I think the meat needs some kind of seasoning before the dressing is added, Silver thinks a marinade for the meat might be good. Notice on the poultry seasoning it does not give an amount... I am guessing this means "to taste" well... ours needed a tad bit more. Also this did not mention covering the meat as it cooks... you will need to, ours came out a little on the dry side; it was still very good. The only complaints was from the picky eater boy... and my daughter who doesn't like dressing. So not a bad try. Also we used a beef shoulder roast that Silver cut for rolling, it was what we had on hand and it worked. I am thinking this would be good with a nice skirt steak. A thick beef gravy served over it would be good, we had ours with just rice and some fresh bread. again it wasn't bad.. pretty good just needs some tweaking.

Tonight we are making a Scrapple recipe from this booklet, I will say I have already added to the recipe but will let you know tomorrow.


Be Well and Blessed Be...

No comments:

Post a Comment