Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Dutch Country Bean Soup

Well first.. still no camera, and it's a lovely day today hit almost 50 degrees. I got to go over to the neighbor's and do some laundry, which hanging up with the mud is a chore within itself. I have set out a oak plank and some fabric down for me to walk on, and boy is it fun to need to "balance" on the board while carrying clothes and -not- stepping on cats. Silver is reconsidering the house plans, no he is considering a geodesic dome made in the straw-bale style. That wouldn't be bad the heating would be easy once it was done, we'd probably get the house too hot some days.

Dutch Country Bean Soup

1 pound soup beans 1 can tomato sauce

1 ham bone 1/2 cup diced potatoes

1/2 cup chopped onion 2t minced parsley

1 C diced celery salt and pepper


Soak beans overnight in water. Drain, add fresh water and cook slowly with the ham bone for 2 hours. Put in the onion, celery, potatoes, tomato sauce, parsley and the salt and pepper and simmer until vegetables are soft. Remove ham bone, trim off any meat, cut it up and add to soup. Many Pennsylvania Dutch cooks cut up hard boiled eggs and add them to the soup.


This is tonight's recipe.. and well when I got it started I had a few interesting moments.
1st dang out of fresh celery.. "Hey hun how much of this dried celery should I use?"
2nd what where did the potatoes go? We had fries the other night?
3rd shoot forgot about the onions... will powdered work?

So we will see how it comes out based on what we don't have. I don't like the smell so far, so I am hoping that will change. Also on another note.. but about ham. My mom cooks ham in lemon lime soda so when we had ham for New Years I noticed we didn't remember to buy some.. we did have mountain dew though. Hey guess what mountain dew is good to cook ham in!


Be Well and Blessed Be...

No comments:

Post a Comment