Search This Blog

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Derveas= Dan Quale?

I thought I'd try to play “devil's advocate today and look into something that struck me this morning. Technically the Dervaes' family is claiming they created and started the urban homestead movement. Well I sat there this morning while getting breakfast ready for the kiddies and though, “hey if they created urban homesteading then Dan Quale created the internet. He spent lots of time and possibly money telling everyone he created it after the internet existed.


This is the wikipedia entry on the internet:


The origins of the Internet reach back to research of the 1960s, commissioned by the United States government in collaboration with private commercial interests to build robust, fault-tolerant, and distributed computer networks. The funding of a new U.S. backbone by the National Science Foundation in the 1980s, as well as private funding for other commercial backbones, led to worldwide participation in the development of new networking technologies, and the merger of many networks. The commercialization of what was by the 1990s an international network resulted in its popularization and incorporation into virtually every aspect of modern human life. As of 2009, an estimated quarter of Earth's population used the services of the Internet.



From “the history of the internet” on Wikipedia:


These research efforts included those of the laboratories of Vinton G. Cerf at Stanford University, Donald Davies (NPL), Paul Baran (RAND Corporation), and Leonard Kleinrock at MIT and at UCLA. The research led to the development of several packet-switched networkingsolutions in the late 1960s and 1970s, including ARPANET, Telenet, and the X.25 protocols. Additionally, public access and hobbyist networking systems grew in popularity, including unix-to-unix copy (UUCP) and FidoNet. They were however still disjointed separate networks, served only by limited gateways between networks. This led to the application of packet switching to develop a protocol for internetworking, where multiple different networks could be joined together into a super-framework of networks. By defining a simple common network system, the Internet Protocol Suite, the concept of the network could be separated from its physical implementation. This spread of internetworking began to form into the idea of a global network that would be called the Internet, based on standardized protocols officially implemented in 1982. Adoption and interconnection occurred quickly across the advanced telecommunication networks of the western world, and then began to penetrate into the rest of the world as it became the de-facto international standard for the global network. However, the disparity of growth between advanced nations and the third-world countries led to a digital divide that is still a concern today.



So as I can see yes! Dan Quale created the internet... just like the Dervaes started the Urban Homesteading movement …


Wikipedia entry for “Urban Homesteading the “history” section:


aving an allotment or vegetable garden has been common throughout history, notably, victory gardens during the WWII era, immigrant gardens, and the inner-city community gardening movement in the 1970s. The "back-to-the-land" movement of the 1960s, exemplified by numerous groups, such as Tennessee's The Farm, has recently been reformed into a "back-to-the-city" movement. A wealth of urban homesteading books (Urban Homestead by Kelly Coyne, Erik Knutzen; The Backyard Homestead by Carleen Madigan; Urban Homesteading by Rachel Kaplan, K. Ruby Blume; Toolbox for Sustainable City Living by Scott Kellog) have been published in the past decade. All over the world, people have found ways of growing their own food in inner-city urban areas.



Now there is proof this term has been in use since before the 1990's, I have seen people quoteing seeing it mentioned in the 1970's. I do have a link that goes to an article in “Mother Earth News” from 1980 about “urban Homesteading”:


http://www.motherearthnews.com/Modern-Homesteading/1980-09-01/Community-Homesteading-Programs.aspx


So it looks like the Dervaes came up with this “claim” on this term after all the work had been done just to get their bit of money because now you need to quote them, or point back at them when you use it. (I'm sorry folks that ain't happenin here) Many, many people have written books on this subject and have used it for years before this family has decided they needed to own it. FINE! Trademark, “The Dervaes Institute style of Urban Homesteading”, that is fine by me and I'm pretty sure many others would be Ok with that too.


However trademarking a phrase that a whole movement has access too, that is wrong. You have made it so that many people are now considering “urban homesateading” a bad word, this “movement” is/was a community of like-minded people. Who now wants to seperate Dervaes family from it any way possible; as the members of this community are all about free sharing of information.


Yes I have a donate button on my own blog... GUESS WHAT? I don't expect people to send me money (it would be nice we do need it) , I don't want people to give me money because I am begging for it. I looked at your website cause oddly enough not long before this debacle started I acctually was thinking about looking your family up as I remember seeing the article on your family and wanted a closer look at the pictures from that article. Guess what? After looking over your website and saw the multiple times your family asks for money I hit the brakes at full stop; it was too much. Seeing as how your family makes money selling produce to restaurants (hey anybody check their books lately?), you don't need whatever money I might beable to send your way.


Now I -DON'T- live in an “urban” area.. I'm country here and quite happy to be here, I look into “urban Homesteading” to get ideas for useful things I can use on my “little homestead”, now I will make sure that if people ask me for info on it I won't send them too you.


I have also noticed that you (dang I wish I knew where the link was) want to move to South
America and buy 900 acres for your family plus whoever... Guess what -THATS NOT URBAN- not unless you are planning to build a city on the edge of it.


Anywho folks this will be my last post on this family.. however I will be participating in the online protest Monday.. so bear that in mind. Later today I'll have new pictures up from my “Homestead”, for all who want to see it!


Be Well and Blessed Be...



DISCLAMER:


(I am a blogger and not a reporter therefore please note that some of my materials may not be all there is out there in the world or internet on the subject and I might get something wrong. I'm sorry but it's human nature to make mistakes) <--- This is going to be the newest joke on the web.


No comments:

Post a Comment