Search This Blog

Friday, February 25, 2011

Wild Yeast Experiment Part 2



OK so I left off at the bread dough rising for 8-12 hours. After it has spent this time and by now it should be double in size, flour your work space. You need to set your oven (bread stone if you got one) to 500 degrees mine runs hot so our was at 400. Put in the oven a cooking vessel that has a lid on it, please rememberer that plastic does not do well in the oven. Gently pull the dough out of the bowl not popping any bubbles if you are able. Then (do not flour top) take each of the "four sides" and just fold them in like you were folding clothes.

Next Open your oven and carefully (as the pan,pot whatever will be hot!) put the dough in the cooking vessel and cover. Close the oven and cook for 20 minutes. then take the lid off and cook another 20 minutes.




This is my result, it's a little light as I took it out early (as I said my oven runs hot and it's electric element is on the bottom); I should have left it in longer but it was blackening a slight bit on the bottom. Considering the size of my oven to bake this it has to be right over the heating element for me.


I am making another loaf today, I have also learned that the liquid I got from the jars I used makes about 2c of yeast, so when I did it this morning I took about 2 teaspoons of the yeast and put it back and "fed" it. I do hope it grows more, this loaf of bread has a good chewy hard crust and smelled wonderful. So I'd hate to lose the good yeast I grew.


Well, it looks like growing yeast is fairly simple; and with the right bread recipe it can be an amazing thing to do on your own. Especially if you want to "do it all" yourself. I might try this when we are in blackberry season with some fresh berries, we will see. If I do I will post my results here.

Be Well and Blessed Be...

No comments:

Post a Comment